1. Read definitions of natural disasters and name them.
1. a shaking of the ground
2. a huge wave caused by an earthquake which flows onto land
3. an extremely violent wind or storm
4. large amount of water that covers an area which is usually dry
5. a large mass of snow falling down the side of a mountain
2. Fill in: pollution, cyclone, global warming, poverty, endangered, famine in the correct form. There is one extra word.
1. Governments should do everything not to let people die of _______
2. We say that people live in _______ when they don’t have enough money to pay for their food or housing.
3. There are a lot of _______ species on the planet.
4. ________ are very common in South East Asia.
5. Because of ________ our planet gets hotter and hotter
3. Complete the sentences with words derived from the words in bold.
1. I still think he needs your _____ in choosing the career. GUIDE
2. He had a very attractive _________ APPEAR
3. The ________ at the theatre last night was unforgettable! PERFORM
4. Her daughter made such a nice_________ for the party. INVITE
5. A lot of animals on the Earth need ______ PROTECT
4. Put the verb in brackets into the correct form –ing form or infinitive.
1. The teacher made him _____ his exercise again.(write)
2. My sister agreed ______ me clean the room. (help)
3.They decided _____________the homework. (do)
4.I don’t want __________ to the cinema. (go)
5.Has it stopped ____________ yet? (snow)
5. Choose used to/be used to/get used to
1 She’s been in Britain for three months and she can’t _______ driving on the left.
2 Mike __________doing his homework to music. It’s a usual way he does it.
3. Pupils don’t like wearing uniform to school but surely they will_____ it.
4. He lived in the North for a long time so he ______ the cold.
5. When a child she ______play with a lot of dolls.
6. Fill in the correct preposition.
1. Kate called _____ yesterday and we finished the project at last.
2. A nurse often calls ______ my granny because she is not well.
3. The tsunami in Indonesia called________ immediate action.
4. Due to the heavy rain the concert was called ______.
5. The meeting was called ______ but we still don’t know why
7. Fill in the correct preposition.
1. He was very ill but now he is ______of danger
2. Only stupid people would keep lions as pets – they are wild ____ nature.
3. He was horrified to see his office ______ flames.
4. After the hurricane Katrina New Orleans was _______ruins.
5. Where _____ earth did you put my keys?