1. Read definitions of natural disasters and name them.
1. a period of time with no rain
2. large amount of water that covers an area which is usually dry
3. an extremely violent wind or storm
4. a huge wave caused by an earthquake which flows onto land
5. a shaking of the ground
2. Fill in: pollution, cyclone, global warming, poverty, endangered, famine in the correct form. There is one extra word.
1. The oil spill near Alaska in 1989 was the worst case of water ______ in history.
2. There are a lot of ________ species on the planet.
3. We say that people live in _______ when they don’t have enough money to pay for their food or housing
4. ________ are very common in South East Asia.
5. Governments should do everything not to let people die of _______
3. Complete the sentences with words derived from the words in bold.
1. . Her daughter made such a nice_________ for the party. INVITE
2. A lot of animals on the Earth need _____ PROTECT
3. He had a very attractive ________ APPEAR
4 We live in the house with all the modern ___________ CONVENIENT
5. I still think he needs your _____ in choosing the career. GUIDE
4. Put the verb in brackets into the correct form –ing form or infinitive.
1. Has it stopped __ _________ yet? (snow)
2. They denied ______________ the window. (break)
3.They decided _____________the homework. (do)
4. My sister agreed ______ me clean the room. (help)
5. The baby began _____________ in the middle of the night. (cry).
5. Choose used to/be used to/get used to
1. He lived in the North for a long time so he _____ the cold.
2. When a child she ______play with a lot of dolls.
3. She’s been in Britain for three months and she can’t _______ driving on the left.
4. Mike _________doing his homework to music. It’s a usual way he does it.
5. Pupils don’t like wearing uniform to school but surely they will____ it.
6. Fill in the correct preposition.
1. Due to the heavy rain the concert was called ______.
2. The tsunami in Indonesia called________ immediate action.
3. The meeting was called _____ but we still don’t know why.
4. Call _____ sometime and we’ll watch the new DVD together
5. A nurse often calls _____ my granny because she is not well
7. Fill in the correct preposition.
1. How ________ earth did you get here?
2. He was very ill but now he is ______of danger.
3. After the hurricane Katrina New Orleans was _______ruins
4. He was horrified to see his office _____ flames.
5. Only stupid people would keep lions as pets – they are wild _____ nature.